Wednesday 19 March 2014

Happy to join the league of Mammootty’s women: Reenu Mathews

Happy to join the league of Mammootty's women: Reenu Mathews - CineDen

Happy to join the league of Mammootty's women: Reenu Mathews


She is only four films old in Mollywood, but flight attendant-cum-actress Reenu Mathews has consolidated her position in the industry as a bankable star. Though Reenu shot to fame with her debut film, Immanuel, with Mammootty in the lead, it was in Kullante Bharya that she proved what she is capable of as an actress. In a tete-a-tete with Kochi Times, the poised and soft spoken actress shares her experiences; acting with Mammootty back-to-back; and future plans. Excerpts:

Mammootty is known as a very serious person on the set. How was your experience working with him?
It is sheer luck to work with Mammootty Sir for the second time. But still I am tense in his presence. I think I will feel the same even after we work together in 10 films (laughs). But when compared to my debut movie, I am more relaxed now. Mammootty Sir always makes me feel comfortable while shooting and gives me suggestions on how to improve a particular scene. Frankly, the experience is overwhelming and exhilarating.

How do you rate your on screen chemistry with Mammootty?
I am no one to do that and it is for the audience to rate us. But what I felt is, we look good together on screen, and many people have told me the same. Some wrote it on my official page that they could see a perfect pair after a hiatus. Earlier, we used to consider Shobana, Suhasini and Sumalatha as a perfect match for the superstar. I am glad to join the league.

The roles that you have done so far are not glamorous with a no make-up look. Don't you want to try out modern roles?
In two of my movies, I play a simple housewife. So I had to wear cotton saris to suit the character. I had to portray a realistic look to appeal to the audience. However, Ancy is quite different from Annie. Ancy, the wife of a planter and mother of two, is a bold, independent woman, who has a say in every household activity. I believe such homely characters remain in the minds of the audience for long.

And yes, I would love to do modern roles. But I am not at all comfortable wearing revealing clothes and do not want to end up looking vulgar. Though I love sari, I only wear it for special events and shows. I am more comfortable wearing modern attires. For the very reason, people hardly recognise me in public space, as they are used to seeing me only in saris. That is a good thing; I am really enjoying my privacy (laughs).

What is your take on doing intimate or steamy scenes in films?
I know what my limits are and I would like to portray characters within certain limitations. But if a bold scene is integral part of the script and it is aesthetically shot, I have no qualms doing it. I believe any scene can be made vulgar or decent; it all depends on how they are shot.

How do you juggle a full-time career and films?
Since I work as cabin crew with an airline in Dubai, I have only 30 days of leave every year. So I can fly down to Kerala only for one movie a year. I had to reject many projects that came my way because of that; the latest is director Ranjith's Njan. I am not ready yet to make movies my full-time career. If everything goes well, I may think on those lines in the future.

Is marriage on the cards anytime soon?
I believe marriage will happen when the right time comes. However, I am particular that I should know the guy who I marry. I cannot spend the rest of my life with someone I don't know. It may not be a love marriage, but I won't marry a total stranger.

So what's next?
I have signed Amal Neerad's, Iyobinte Pusthakam, a period film set in the early 1900. However, I don't have the liberty to talk about my character. All I can say is that, it is quite a serious movie and I am paired opposite Lal sir. There are a few more projects in the pipeline. I am getting offers from other languages too, but haven't signed anything yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment