Sunday 23 October 2011

Bollywood is a Different World for Me: Shazahn Padamsee

Bollywood is a Different World for Me: Shazahn Padamsee

For a South Bombay girl with her background in English theatre, Bollywood is a completely different world, but Shazahn Padamsee is doing fine.

The spunky actress debuted with the industry heart-throb Ranbir Kapoor in Rocket Singh:Salesman of the Year, in 2009, which was followed by Madhur Bhandarkar's Dil Toh Baccha Hai Ji with the top star Ajay Devgn as her hero. And recently she bagged Sajid Khan's Housefull 2, an upcoming Bollywood comedy and sequel to Housefull. "Bollywood is a different world for me, but passion overtook everything. I was drawn to Hindi movies and cinema as a medium and luckily I have blended with everyone, even the hardcore Bollywood guys..I feel like one of them. I feel at home on sets. I am taking one step at a time and don't want to sign random films," says Shazahn.

Shazahn says, she was very clear that she wanted to start off her career with a big production house. "I was lucky that Yashraj's Rocket Singh fell into my lap. I got to work with Ranbir when he was three films old at that time. I got to learn a lot from him. He is very dedicated to his work and I drew inspiration from him. He is like a horse with the blinkers on. He is totally focused and immersed in his work and quick with his dialogues. I would really find it amazing when he would run to the monitor and check whether he needs to do the shot again, he was just 26 then," says Shazahn.

And immediately after Rocket Singh, she got two offers from the South one Tamil and the other Telugu. Telugu film Orangewas opposite Chiranjeevi's son, Ram Charan Tej. "It was the role of a possessive girl friend and I got an opportunity to perform. I played a slightly eccentric character and I ran away with all the good reviews. Since I played a Mumbai girl in the film, it was shot here with just few portions shot in Hyderabad," says Shazahn, who was always keen on doing South films, "because I had heard that it gives a certain kind of experience and ease in front of the camera," she says. And then came Dil To Baccha Hai Ji where she played June Pinto, an office intern. "I loved the character because there is so much of me in it. And I was really lucky to get that film because Madhur has always been on the dream list of directors," says Shazahn, who has now joined the gang of girls - Asin, Zarine Khan, Jacqueline Fernandes in Housefull 2.

Coming from the theatre background and with her ad guru dad Alyque Padamsee's bank of knowledge, Shazahn has something new to learn each day. "My dad is not remotely connected to Hindi commercial cinema but he guides me for my acting as language is no barrier. I always run my scenes and auditions by him. I have to live up to certain standards. Then Madhur Bhandarkar is also there to advice me," says Shazahn. "I consult my dad, but finally use my mind, my judgement. I take my own decisions," says Shazahn who spents a lot of time watching classics like Sholay, Mother India

Keen on taking up only commercial, mainstream projects, Shazahn says, she is happy and enjoying her space with Housefull 2 in her kitty, and few more projects in the pipeline. "But yes, theatre is my roots and I will be doing a play some time..something like Shakespeare. My entire family is into theatre and ad world and I am the odd person out," she laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment