Sunday 2 October 2011

I Don't Believe in Bra-Burning Feminism: Dia Mirza

I Don't Believe in Bra-Burning Feminism: Dia Mirza

A firm believer in Stree Shakti, Dia Mirza says that she wants to direct a biography and might consider working on stories on the lives of Amrita Sher-Gil, Leela Samson or Irom Sharmila Chanu

Her mother is a Bengali and she has been celebrating Durga Puja since a child in Hyderabad. Idol worship was not exactly what her mother believed in though Dia did have a field day going to pandals with her aunt and serving bhog. With Pujas round the corner, she says, "Like my mother, I too have a strong belief in Stree Shakti. I love the aarti and the sight of people collectively praying. This time around, I want to do dhunuchi naach."

Speaking about the power of women both within the industry and beyond, Dia says, "The best part of being in the industry is being able to celebrate my independence. I like being assertive without taking a radical path. Even in my production house, I am working with two men where we try to complement each other without outdoing anyone. While being respectful, I believe in quiet firmness. My greatest strength as a woman lies in being able to help others." So, does she believe in feminism? "No, I don't believe in bra-burning feminism. That's an extreme path and I feel such 'fights' are often misinterpreting the strength that a woman has. The power of a woman is not about undermining the opposite gender. It is about acknowleding one's strength and helping other women to identify that too," she adds.

Having already spoken about wanting to direct movies in future, does she believe in working on strong female characters? "I'd want to direct simple and meaningful stories. I am keen on directing a biography. There are many stories of real women that need to be told well. I am very inspired by the life of danseuse Leela Samson (who is now the Censor Board chief). Then, there is Amrita Sher-Gil, the eminent Indian painter who also died very young. Even Irom Sharmila Chanu, who has been fasting since 2000, is an extremely inspiring character. I might consider doing a biographical film on the lives of any of these inspiring women," she says.

However, it's too early for Dia to say when she will begin work. Now, she is busy promoting her forthcoming Hindi release. As a parting shot she says, "I'll begin only when I've my script ready."

No comments:

Post a Comment